Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Colorful Finished Projects

At the risk of sounding negative, I need to say that I don't really like autumn that much. The air feels different, and I tend to get a bit depressed at the prospect of 4-5 months of cold weather. I try to hold onto summer in as many ways as possible, like wearing flip-flops even though my toes are freezing. One of the ways I cling to summer is by surrounding myself with bright colors. There are a few things I like about autumn, though. I enjoy warm drinks like tea and cider, wearing lots of layers, and getting to show off my knitting by wearing cowls, shawls, and fingerless gloves. Here are 3 projects I finished this week.
 First up is my quilt. I took a quilting class at the local Community College through the continuing education classes. This is a crib-sized sampler that taught me a bunch of different techniques. It took 6 weeks to make it, mostly because I did all of it during class time, and only had class once a week. I found this great Dia de los Muertos fabric to be my feature, and chose the rest of the colors from there. It was a lot of fun. :)
 Here's a close-up of some of the machine-stippling that I did around the edges. It's all free form, and quite fun to do. I look forward to perfecting it on my next quilt.
 A close-up of the machine quilting. :)
 And some indelible ink on the back makes it official and special. :)

 Comma likes stripes too, and thinks the quilt is very comfortable.

 Next up is a striped cowl. This was knitted in the round on size 4 needles. I cast on about 150 stitches, I think. I didn't really work from a pattern for this, just made is up as I went along. It is double thickness. Alternating colors every 3 rows, and dropping a color after 7 rows have been knitted with it. I used sock-weight yarn (size 1) to use up a bunch of little balls of scraps. I still have enough to make another cowl and possibly a few pairs of 2-color fingerless gloves.

 My final finished object for the week was a pair of fingerless gloves for myself. I intended these to be a pair of socks, but as I was knitting them, they told me they would match really well with my school shirts, and that it would be a shame to hide their pretty colors in shoes.

 These were knit on size 1.5mm needles using self-striping sock yarn from Knit Picks. Cast on 64 stitches, knit 6 stripes in the round, add thumb gusset over 2 stripes, separate thumb using scrap yarn, continue knitting in the round for 1 stripe, make 2x2 ribbing for 3/4 a stripe, bind off, pick up stitches for the thumb, knit 2x2 ribbing, bind off.
Close-up of thumb gusset.

1 comment:

  1. The quilt came out absolutely amazing! The class was definitely worth the money. Add to that the fact that it's Comma approved, and you know I'm speaking truly. Cats, after all, *know* these things!

    ReplyDelete