Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

Scrappy Apron

I had a bit of extra time on my hands this morning, and in the process of cleaning out a drawer, I came across this vintage, handmade apron that I picked up years ago when I worked at an antique store.

It's a pretty simple construction. Ever since I've started sewing, I have started to look at clothes and other cloth objects differently. I caught myself checking out some curtains in a restaurant and thinking, "Those would be really easy to make". I had a bit of extra fabric on hand, so I decided to try my hand at apron-making. This is the first time I've ever made something without a pattern, and it was pretty simple. I used the vintage apron as a template, and tried to find fabric pieces that were similar in size.

These are the pieces after I cut them. This was leftover fabric from my first sewing project, which was a pair of pajamas. I ironed everything out, and got down to sewing. I didn't remember to take pictures along the way, but here are the steps:
1. Using a basting stitch, sew two rows close together across the top of the apron. Secure one end using a pin, and pull the other side to gather the fabric.
2. Sew the sides of apron, the waistband, and the ties  by folding under 1/8" and sewing close to fold.
3. Fold waistband in half. Press. Sew in the ties, 5/8" away from edge. Fold ends of ties in, sew to give a clean finish.
4. Pin gathered edge inside folded waistband. Sew along edge of previous stitching.
5. Fold edges of pocket at 1/8", sew. Fold down top flap at 1", sew.
6. Pin pocket to front of apron, sew on 3 sides, leaving top open.
7. Pin ribbon to bottom and top of waistband. Sew.

Voila! You have a new apron!

No comments:

Post a Comment